Melancholia

Nitpicker expresses what is at the bottom of the burgeoning depression that's coming over me:

As you'll notice, I haven't written in a couple of days. I apologize to my faithful reader. I'm sorry, Mom. However, I just wonder whether it's worth it at all anymore. Honestly, people, we are currently living in a country where people are recommending pre-emptive nuclear strikes on North Korea, where it is now argued that we may have to go to war with Iraq just because it would make us look bad if we didn't go ahead and kill a bunch of their people, and guys who probably vote Democrat are saying that we should be allowed to torture people for information.

Good God.

Doesn't the whole idea of who we are as a nation have to change now? I don't mean once these things are done, either, but just because there are people in power who aren't disgusted by these arguments?


Yep. We aren't even paying lip service to decency anymore.This isn't the nation I have believed in for my whole life. I feel like I've been duped. We're just another wealthy, conquering military power getting drunk on our own ambition.

Jim Henleysays it too, in a different way:

Welcome to the Southern Cone - Why shouldn't we have people like Khaled Sheik Mohammad tortured, even though they are mass-murdering scum? There are various prudential reasons, which I went into last year. Twice. But there's a more important reason.

Because we're the fucking United States of America!

I weep to think that we ever took it upon ourselves to criticize Argentina for the "dirty war" of the late 70s. Evil as the junta was, it was at least responding to a concerted campaign of urban guerilla warfare. ("At the time, political kidnappings, violent strikes and bombings had become commonplace," notes the Christian Science Monitor.) How little it took, really, to bring far too many Americans down to juntahood - a single, terrible, terrible morning. Perhaps al Qaeda already got its weapon of mass destruction, a virus capable of making all infected forget the most basic facts about who they are, or at least who they were supposed to be. We even know when they used it. From here out, we may live or die, may win or lose, but not as Americans.