Exit, Stage Right

GOP Wants to End Exit Polls

Ok. I have not yet seen the proof that Bush stole Ohio, but I certainly have my suspicions. And I can't help but wonder about Florida either. There is ample evidence that our voting systems are in very sad shape and the addition of touch screen voting is only making it worse.

And now here comes the Republican party agitating to get rid of the exit polls --- exit polls which have shown the Democrat winning in the last two presidential elections with the Republican coming out barely ahead in the actual vote count each time. And nobody has come up with anything close to a reasonable explanation for this. (Hoardes of giddy Democrats racing to the pollsters to tell their story is ridiculous.)

Unless we can get a federal law demanding a paper audit trail for all elections and keep the exit polls, we will never have a clue when they try to steal it in the future. The arrogant bastards.

This reminds me of a brief flirtation I had with writing a screenplay in which the election was decided by two sets of hackers --- one set determined to change the results, the other determined to stop them. (I'd had a few beers.) Considering what a stupid idea it was, it's hard to believe it's looking as if my slightly inebriated little fantasy could actually come to pass. Maybe instead of legions of lawyers we'd better think of getting a few good computer nerds.