Juicy Nugget

Seems there's word on the street that the Clintons are pushing Joe Lockhart for DNC chair.

I dunno. I have a soft spot for Lockhart from the Starr Wars, but isn't he primarily a defensive player? I think we're looking for some offense in this position.

Even though I was not a Deaniac, I came out way back in June for Dean as DNC chair mostly because I believe that the next chairman has to be able to harness some of this grassroots energy. And frankly, I think the party would be well served by a reformer who simultaneously represents the party. The activists have to take ownership of the party label and start to defend it against the GOP or we aren't going to get anywhere. As long as Democrats berate themselves more than the Republicans we're in trouble.

Still, I don't have a real dog in this fight. I'm worn out with this stuff. Lockhart's a good guy. I don't hate the Clintons or the Deaniacs or the Kerry people. I don't even know if this position is really as crucial as some think. Were Jim Nichols or Jim Gilmore or Ed Gillespie crucial to the GOP's success? Not really.

May the best Democrat win.