Up, Up And Away

A commenter asks why I think Clement was floated earlier in the day and it's a good question. I don't think it served any purpose. The only reason to float trial balloons on Supreme Court justices is to guage how they'll be accepted. That is an irrelevant concern for this White House except for one consituency --- the radical religious right. But they have a very direct pipeline to the the leaders of that constitutency and they don't need to float a name publicly to find out how it will be seen by these people. They just have to pick up the Jesus phone.

I think it was a mistake. And I'm surmising that it might just be because things are breaking down a little bit in the vaunted white house message center. Perhaps people are a little bit distracted and not keeping their eye on the ball the way they should? Wonder why?

Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason to do it.



.