Comedy Is Tragedy Plus Time

by digby

Matt Yglesias wonders why Tom Friedman is speaking in stupid riddles. (If I had a nickel for every time I've asked myself that question...)

In this particular case he can't figure out what Friedman means when he says:


"Do you think the shortest distance between two points is a straight line?"

If you answered "Yes," you would not be allowed to work in Iraq. You could go to Korea, Japan or Germany - but not Iraq. Only those who understand that in the Middle East the shortest distance between two points is never a straight line should be allowed to carry out U.S. policy there. . . .


I have no idea. But when I read it a couple of years ago, I laughed out loud because it immediately reminded me of the Alan Alda character in "Crimes and Misdemeanors" whose line "if it bends, it's funny; if it breaks it's not funny," evokes one of the most hilarious Woody Allen eye rolling reaction shots ever.

Truly, Tom Friedman is one of those utterly pompous, psuedo-intellectual Woody Allen characters who have nothing to say but who obscurely blather on as if their gibberish has some great significance. And because he's been anointed as a "great thinker" everybody nods their head in agreement because they are afraid they're missing something so profound it's above their heads.

Take this one for instance:


So here's how I feel: I feel as if the president is presenting us with a beautiful carved mahogany table — a big, bold, gutsy vision. But if you look underneath, you discover that this table has only one leg. His bold vision on Iraq is not supported by boldness in other areas. And so I am terribly worried that Mr. Bush has told us the right thing to do, but won't be able to do it right
.

Hookay. If people think the shortest distance to between two points is a table leg, they are bold and gutsy but they should go to Japan, which has very nice mahogany tables. Or something. Seriously, half the time I don't know what the hell he's going on about and I'm convinced he doesn't either.



.