Lil' Polskas

by digby

Awww. It's like the AV club decided to have their own prom:

After the fracas had quieted down, the next logical question of the evening was, “What party are you going to?” In the past, there have been only one or two after-parties to attend, the most prestigious being Bloomberg’s.

But last year, things began to change when Capitol File magazine and Reuters offered their own competing post-parties. And this year, Vanity Fair reignited its after-party—which the mag stopped hosting in 1999—at the Adams Morgan condo of scribe Christopher Hitchens.

The VF party was the evening’s most sought after ticket, precisely because it was billed as so exclusive. Heavy-hitting journo names filled the guest list, whereas Bloomberg and Capitol File mixed beltway insiders with people outside the political tent.

In our informal poll before the dinner, taken while attending “Hardball with Chris Matthews” Executive Producer Tammy Haddad’s famous garden party (which she co-hosts with a slew of others), most people reported they were going to Bloomberg.

As the Weekly Standard writer, Matt Labash told us: “I’m going to Bloomberg with my friends. Do you think I want to stand in a room with Sean Penn and Doug Feith? I know how that story ends. In blood and tears. And oil. Oily tears. I’m going to Bloomberg because I’m a man of principle.” Of course late that night we saw him cabbing over to Hitch’s house, but that’s neither here nor there.

Syndicated radio host and Democratic commentator Bill Press confessed: “I’m crashing the Vanity Fair party—here’s why. I have crashed the Bloomberg party so many times it’s no fun anymore. It’s true. I’ve been to the party so many times it’s no fun anymore.”

Former Washington Poster and New York Daily news gossip columnist Lloyd Grove told us: “I’m on the list at Bloomberg. I haven’t tried Vanity Fair, maybe I’ll show up…since my coach turned into a pumpkin and I’m no longer important I hope people who I’ve been nice to and done favors for will pay up!”

Meanwhile TV siren Morgan Fairchild, looking smokin’ in her gold trench coat, was unaware of the Vanity Fair party. “I’m going to at least Bloomberg and Capitol File. I haven’t been invited to Vanity Fair. Maybe someone will invite me.”

Reporter Tim Burger’s after party choice was: “Bloomberg.” Then again, he works there. “That’s not the only reason,” he said diplomatically. “The main reason is because it will be simply the best.”

Taylor Griffin, a former top spokesman at the Treasury department and now in the private sector, said he was going to Bloomberg because “it has always been the best.” Do you secretly wish you were going to Vanity Fair? “I hear it’s all Democrats.”


I'm really sorry I missed the pre-party red carpet coverage on CSPAN 3 where Chris Matthews and Adam Nagourney decided which paunchy, Republican white guy was the totally sexiest man in Washington. (Fred Thompson came in a close second to that perennial hunk Ted "Sanjaya" Olsen. In yet another sign of his sinking poll ratings, George "the codpiece" Bush lost the top honor for the first time in six years. Ouch!)

As a special treat just for Hullabaloo readers, my spies on the ground were able to discover the secret appetizer recipe Hitchens served at that fabulous Vanity Fair soiree at his condo. Shhhh. Don't share it with anybody who isn't somebody:

Drunken Cocktail Weenies

Ingredients:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chili sauce
3 cups bourbon
1/4 cup onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar (or grape jelly)
1 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 pound "Li'l Polksas" or Cocktail Franks

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except franks and one cup bourbon in saucepan and heat on medium heat until almost boiling. Drink remaining bourbon. Lower heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Add franks; simmer 8-10 minutes until heated through. Serve hot in chafing dish.


Mmm-mmm-mmm.


.