Music Stuff

by tristero

I've been reluctant to mention my music in my blogging, except in passing or when I've thought it relevant, because it's just not my style. I've always thought it unfair to plug what I do to you when you come here and do me the incredible courtesy of paying attention to my thoughts on politics and culture - and often take the time to correct me or argue with me or even agree with me (all of it deeply appreciated). However, while it still seems to me an imposition on your time to advertise my musical activities to you, I've had so many inquiries into what I'm up to, and since some of the projects would be of intererst to you even if you aren't interested in contemporary music, I'll - very occasionally, I promise! - keep you posted on some of it. And so...

Tonight on PBS (ie Monday May 14, times may vary) will see the premiere of Middlemarch Films' Alexander Hamilton, produced for American Experience by Catherine Allan, directed by Muffie Meyer, written by Ron Blumer, edited by Sharon Sachs and Eric Davies, and with music by me. Hamilton was a complex, brilliant, and very troubled figure whose life soared to the heights of achievement and sank into genuinely dismaying seaminess. I think you will enjoy the show, it's among my favorites that I've done with Middlemarch.


This Wednesday at noon, at the Westminster Presbyterian Church, 262 State Street, Albany, NY the Musicians of Ma'alwyck will preview selections from my new Voices of Light Suite, finished a few days ago. The group was founded by Ann-Marie Barker Schwarz, a wonderful violinist and good friend. Ann-Marie was instrumental in pushing for the Albany premiere of the complete Voices of Light a while back. She suggested that I make a suite of the music that she could play with Ma'alwyck and I immediately agreed - why hadn't I thought of that before????

The complete Voices of Light Suite will premiere Sunday, May 20th, 3pm, at St. George's Episcopal Church, Route 146, Clifton Park, New York, which Ann-Marie tells me is about 30 minutes north of Albany. Tickets are $20 for adults, $10 for students and you can call 518/377-3623 to reserve them. I'll be there on Sunday, so if you make it, please say hello.

Last week, there were two performances of Voices of Light, in Tampa Bay, Florida, and Lebanon, Ohio, both of which went extremely well (I was at the Lebanon, Ohio performance). We're in the final stages of planning a very large production abroad this summer; more information when I can officially announce it!

Finally, there's something coming up which I can't wait to tell you about, a major new piece. I should be able to tell you more in a few weeks...