Runnin' With The Devil

by digby

Bill Sher has an excellent Russert "gotcha" question for Newt Gingrich when he appears on Meet the Press this week-end:

You're one of the intellectual architects of the current foreign policy strategy in the Gulf, and President Bush is following your advice on Iraq by naming a "war czar."

Yet in May 1999 during the NATO campaign in Kosovo, you said that:

...the elite news media, the liberal academic elite, the liberal political elite: I accuse you in Littleton, and I accuse you in Kosovo, of being afraid to talk about the mess you have made, and being afraid to take responsibility for the things that you have done, and instead foisting on the rest of us pathetic banalities because you don't have the courage to look at the world you have created...

...I don't know why none of the Joints Chiefs have resigned because this campaign is a violation of every rule I know of in how you design a campaign...

... We are wasting our resources. Our prestige is diminishing. And all over the world we look like a violent, helpless, pathetic country.


I don't actually expect Russert to ask this question because it would be rude to embarrass a wonderful patriot like Newt with his own idiotic words. That's something only rude, vitriolic bloggers would do.

But dear God how I wish Newtie would run. The only people in the country who can stand his special brand of creepy arrogance are the equally smarmy James Dobson and this guy, who hilariously is running a "draft Newt" movement.

Doesn't he know that Newtie has a long history of avoiding the draft?

"Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made."

It makes the phrase "run, Newt, run" all the more fun, doesn't it?


.