He Seemed Like Such A Nice Man

by digby

If you haven't had a chance to read Perlstein's take on the Libby clemency letters, do it now. My God. I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect illustration of the loathesome insiderism of the political establishment.

Here's one example from former senator Alan Simpson:

Scooter is not some hard-hearted partisan who delights in subterfuge, or "cover-up" or mendacity. He is a splendid human being.

I shall always remain puzzled how the situation ever "came to this." Some are of the opinion that he has 'fallen upon his sword" and yet, it is my perception that the sword has fallen on him.

When I think of what had happened to him --- words fail me (and who of my friends would believe that one?!) because all of this is so totally inconsistent with the basic attributes and the reputation of the man I know... From my knowledge of him, I say without equivocation or hesitation whatsoever that he is a very good man.


That's awfully nice, isn't it? But I had a recollection of senator Simpson taking a somewhat harder line on perjury back in the days before the Republicans went all soft 'n gooey on crime:

"There is only one question here," says the former senator. "Did he raise his right hand and lie about it and then lie again? Lying under oath -- that to me is all there is. Did this man, whether he is head of the hardware store or the president or applying for a game and fishing license, raise his hand and say, 'This is the truth'?"


Yeah, whatever. Unless he a personal pal, in which case he is a "splendid human being" whom he simply can't fathom would do such a thing.

In fact, I seem to recall that the whole "town" was up in arms because its reputation was stained by president's Clinton's alleged perjury (for which he was acquitted, btw.) Unlike convicted felon Scooter they didn't even wait for the evidence before registering their displeasure at someone who had sullied the vaunted reputation of their small "village." Oh my, were they upset!

His behavior," says Lieberman, "is so over the edge. What is troubling is the deceit, the failure to own up to it. Before this is over the truth must be told."

[...]

And the wife of a Democratic senator who declined to comment spoke on condition of anonymity. "We take the issue of perjury seriously here," she said.

[...]

"The judgment is harsher in Washington," says The Post's Broder. "We don't like being lied to."


Well, that depends, of course on who's doing the lying --- one of your very good friends, who you just can't believe would ever do such a thing or some interloper who comes in and trashes the place. Scooter's perjury is a-ok (or at least unworthy of the high moral indignation they all once averred) because they know him.

This is why those of us out here in the hinterlands find the DC political establishment so repellent. Their missish sanctimony is so tranparently phony that it's hard to believe they have the nerve to put it out there. (And I'm so looking forward to hearing Lynn Cheney once more lecture all of us on situational ethics and moral relativism once her war criminal husband is out of office. You know she will ...)

Read Perlstein's piece if only for the highlights of shrieking harpy Mary Matalin's (and her little dog Carville's) bathetic tribute to Scooter and all the little children who love him. Keep some Pepto Bismol handy.


Update: Hah! Sidney Blumenthal observes a strange sameness in the letters:

Those who served most closely with him described their feelings with persuasive intensity. One after another they used the same words: "Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life." Gradually, however, Major Ben Marco breaks through his brainwashing to discover that Raymond Shaw is a sleeper agent programmed to install the Manchurian candidate as president.

One after another, in nearly the same language, in letters that Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff acknowledged had been prompted by I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, in his attempt to mitigate a harsh sentence for his conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice, dozens of people described the former chief of staff to the vice president with the warmest feelings.

"I know Mr. Libby to be a patriot, a dedicated public servant, a strong family man, and a tireless, honorable, selfless human being," wrote Donald Rumsfeld, the former secretary of defense.

"Mr. Libby was one of the most dedicated public servants I have known in my career," wrote Eric Edelman, the undersecretary of defense for policy.

"I can say, without hesitation, that Scooter was among the finest and most selfless public officials with whom I have ever worked," wrote John Hannah, Vice President Cheney's national security advisor.

"Scooter Libby is one of the most genuine, kind, hardworking and patriotic people I know," wrote Elizabeth Denny, Cheney's social secretary.


read on...


.