On Pace

by digby

Am I the only one who thinks the excuse for not reappointing General Pace sounds like total nonsense? Dick Durbin said this morning that any appointee was going to have tough confirmation hearings so it doesn't make much sense and I think that's true. The Senate might have given him a tough time, but he's a General, a Marine in uniform and they would have been respectful and they would have confirmed him. Are they saying that Peter Perfect couldn't take the heat and come out on top? Please. My BS detector went off the minute I heard it.

The question is, did they ax him or did he quit? And why?

Update: There are many interesting theories in the comments. But I think Greenwald's speculation here, rings true. Unlike certain marine colonels of yore, Pace may have been unwilling to commit perjury and some people don't want certain things to be discussed in public just now.


.