The Compassionate Conservative

by digby

I'd forgotten about this, but our friend Glenn Beck, the twisted firehater, has long had issues with disaster victims:

I wonder if I'm alone in this -- you know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year. And I had such compassion for them, and I really wanted to help them, and I was behind, you know, "Let's give them money, let's get this started." All of this stuff. And I really didn't -- of the 3,000 victims' families, I don't hate all of them. Probably about 10 of them. And when I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, "Oh shut up!" I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining. And we did our best for them. And, again, it's only about 10.

But the second thought I had when I saw these people and they had to shut down the Astrodome and lock it down, I thought: I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims. These guys -- you know it's really sad. We're not hearing anything about Mississippi. We're not hearing anything about Alabama. We're hearing about the victims in New Orleans. This is a 90,000-square-mile disaster site, New Orleans is 181 square miles. A hundred and -- 0.2 percent of the disaster area is New Orleans! And that's all we're hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones we're seeing on television are the scumbags -- and again, it's not all the people in New Orleans. Most of the people in New Orleans got out! It's just a small percentage of those who were left in New Orleans, or who decided to stay in New Orleans, and they're getting all the attention. It's exactly like the 9-11 victims' families. There's about 10 of them that are spoiling it for everybody.


And he also qualified that only a handful of those who lost homes in Southern California are America haters, so it's not like he hates everybody.

C'mon, CNN, what does this guy bring to the party? His ratings are terrible, he's nearly incoherent half the time and he's got a disgusting attitude. I just don't see why any responsible mainstream news outlet thinks it's a plus to have him on their airwaves.


Oh, and he's also an idiot. From the Carpetbagger Report:

CNN’s Glenn Beck, apparently going all out to win the award for dumbest television personality, blamed the fires on the “damn environmentalists” and their “bad environmental policies.” To bolster his “argument” (I use the word loosely), Beck chatted with R.J. Smith of the Exxon-funded Competitive Enterprise Institute, and Chris Horner, author of the Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism. Remember, CNN pays this guy to go on the air every day.



Update:


Kelsey Grammer was among those who fled Malibu ...Grammer made light of the evacuation for the sake of his 6-year-old, Mason."My daughter was nervous in the beginning," he told the E! entertainment channel Monday. "I said, 'Oh, honey, it's nothing. Just relax. Come on, we're going to have some fun.' So she shined the flashlight around and we got out. ... We're safe. We got the dog, we got the kids."


You remember Kelsey Grammer, right? Big Bush supporter and right wing Republican?

And then there was this left wing, American hating bastard:

Hollywood mogul David Geffen opened up his recently renovated Malibu Beach Inn to firefighters and rescue workers for free, the trade paper Daily Variety reported.



.