Devaluing The Family

by digby


This is, of course, nothing new, but Karl Rove has once again proved himself to be a total jackass:

I don’t think she did too well on saying I love America. That wasn’t adequate enough because, look, people are gonna hear that, and then those that have paid attention to her earlier comments are gonna try and square those two off.


I thought it was heartbreaking that she had to say it at all, but the idea that it was inadequate is mind boggling. How could she possibly make it any more clear? Wrap herself in the flag and speak in tongues?

The idea that they are going to continue to attack Michelle Obama for being unpatriotic and "hating America" is pretty sickening. I guess it's just part of their ongoing character assault on Obama in general, but it's still very cynical. And I'm not sure it's very effective, certainly after an event like last night. When you see them as a family with their two adorable little daughters, both Michelle and Barack are so incredibly normal, so relaxed and smiling, that these harsh "unamerican" attacks seem very out of place. Last night they sure didn't look very "exotic" to me --- they could have been any All American family I see every day down at the mall.

I find Barack to be very appealing when he's around Michelle and the girls. I don't know what it is --- it's some sort of subliminal thing --- but I get a very warm and friendly feeling toward him that's different than the more cerebral appreciation I have for him as a politician or inspirational feeling I get from his speeches. There's some heuristic decision making going on there that I don't understand, but I recognize it. I would imagine that Karl Rove is well aware of that effect.


.