Sparring Partner?

by digby

For some reason this sounds like it's Hillary to me:

In an interview in Chester, Va., the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said he's made up his mind, but he would not say whether he's informed that person yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama said it was a difficult decision. "We had some great choices."

Obama said he wanted somebody who is "prepared to be president" and who will be "a partner with me in strengthening this economy for the middle class and working families."

He said he was looking for not just a partner but a sparring partner. "I want somebody who's independent, somebody who can push against my preconceived notions and challenge me so we have got a robust debate in the White House."



I wrote before that the Obama campaign has a flair for the theatrical and picking Clinton, after all the sturm and drang of the primaries and all this suspense of the last few weeks, is definitely a dramatic choice.

But who the hell knows? For all I know Tim Kaine is a real scrapper behind closed doors. But his hitting those themes about the middle class and working families (and being "challenged") just sounded like Clinton to me when I rad it. Could just as easily be Biden.


Amato makes the case tonight for Clinton on the merits.


.