Daily Beck

by digby

"So I’m sorry, California, but I don’t want to go down your road. You can’t force me to go down your road. Does the individual have any right anymore? Does the state have any right any more? And I know, because I’ve heard it from all of the conservative – you know, historians and scholars and everything else, but you can’t convince me that the founding fathers wouldn’t allow you to secede. The Constitution is not a suicide pact. And if a state says “I don’t want to go there because that’s suicide,” they have a right to back out. They have a right – people have a right to not commit economic suicide. “Oh, no, that was all solved in the—“ Really? The founder never intended – so wait a minute. I sign into this union and I can never, ever get out no matter what the government does? I can never get out? Well that only leaves you with one other option. That doesn’t seem like a good option. Texas says “go to hell, Washington,” which, by the way, has been said before. I believe it was Davy Crockett, that as he was standing there in the well of the Senate and they were all yelling and screaming at him, he said – he looked them right square in the eye and said, “Hey, you know what? You can all go to hell. I’m going to Texas. About time somebody says that again.

You’re telling me that states can’t say “Washington, we’re not going to commit suicide with you.” This is what I was trying to explain yesterday when the guest that we had unfortunately, David Buckner, he’s a friend of mine. On the TV show he – probably, if you’ve read the Drudge Report you’ve seen him – he passed out in the middle of the show. And I thought he was joking because he was like “I’m going to pass out.” We were talking about how we have destroyed – we are just taking cancer from the private sector, from the banks, from the brokerage houses, from the cities, and we’re just piling them – all of them – right into the Treasury. We’ve taken cancer from one patient, and we’ve put cancer into another patient. Well, gang, somebody’s still going to die from cancer. Yeah. This time it’s going to be you and our country."


He's quite the historian, you know. What do you want to bet that he thinks Lincoln would agree with him?

Via Media Matters