General Bongo's War

by digby

Back when I first started writing this blog I think the thing that was the most fun was getting the occasional nice note about something I'd written and having it turn out to be a writer I knew and respected. One of the first was Lucian Truscott IV, who you all probably know from his novels and screenplays, as I did, but who has a very special place in liberal history as an iconic practitioner of the "new journalism" of the 60s and 70s. Today, he has written a fascinating remembrance of the Stonewall Riots for the NY Times, which he covered in real time for the Village Voice.

But his latest project is why I'm highlighting this because I think it may be his boldest yet --- he's going to blog his latest novel, which is called "General Bongo's War." We ran into each other in Austin last year and he mentioned to me that he wanted to do this and I was fascinated by the concept. Writers are habitual creatures, and someone like Truscott is used to working as most writers do, alone and pretty much inside his own head. But he's taking the process public and he's going to actually write it online.

I won't go into the details of the story. You should check out the site and then go back on a regular basis to read the novel as he's writing it. If the plot is what he roughly outlined to me last year, it's going to be a lot of fun to read.

General Bongo's War

.