My Name Is Glenn And I'm A Paranoid Weirdo

by digby

Adele Stan at Alternet writes about the bizarre Glenn Beck interview with Katie Couric. As she says, "the paranoia is palpable."

But this part is really amazing:

GLENN BECK: I used to be a real social liberal but that’s only because -- I don’t mean to offend anybody here, well, what the heck, I will anyway --I was an alcoholic, and I’m a recovering alcoholic, and I think I was more of a liberal not for any thought process other than I just wanted to keep my options on the table, you know what I mean? Just keep everything out there, so, hey, that’s cool; I’m cool with that. [PUTS BOTH THUMBS UP]

When I sobered up I started looking at all the things that I believed in and decided to take everything out and only put the things back in me that I knew to be true -- not because somebody told me, not because of a political party, not because of my upbringing, but because I really thought it. And I would put it back in and then I would look at all the other things that I found were true, and then I would match them. If one of them didn’t fit with the other, then one of them had to be wrong.

KATIE COURIC: I’m trying to understand the liberal-alcoholism analogy.

BECK: See -- it’s liberals -- they don’t understand that. I think they’re all -- no.

COURIC: No, explain it, because some people might be scratching their heads and saying, ah, huh?

BECK: Socially liberal -- being able to keep absolutely everything on the table. Being able to say, well, there’s nothing wrong with that, and it doesn’t hurt society here, it doesn’t hurt society there -- I think is a, I think is an easy way to live your life.

COURIC: So you think people who are socially liberal are making excuses for bad behavior? Is that what you’re saying.

BECK: I think some do -- not all


Hookay.

You can see the whole trainwreck at the link.


.