Mean And Cruel

by digby

Here's another reason why Republicans don't win the Nobel Peace Prize. I received this note from one of my readers:

I'm VERY upset, I see where Senator Kyl of Arizona has put a stop to the fast track extension of the unemployment benefits...I wrote him an email even though I'm from Florida and thank god he's not my senator....however I see no coverage on this at all. This is a terrible situation for so many people. Jobs aren't available even though I continue to send my resume out and look for any sort of employment. I'm a single mom trying to make ends meet and put food on the table....it's really not possible without some help. I've recently applied for food stamps for the first time ever, yet that takes some time...and it doesn't pay the water or light bill. Any delaying the extension of unemployment benefits is very upsetting and scary.


Here's the story:

Senator Jon Kyl (R-AZ) can expect a lot of hate mail soon. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) tried to accelerate the usual lengthy process in order to take a quick vote on proposed bill H.R. 3548 to give federal unemployment benefits extension to all 50 states but Kyl halted his efforts, calling for more time to consider the bill and possibly add amendments to it. Kyl did this despite my warning to the contrary.

This means that the bill has no chance of a vote this week, as Senate Dems had indicated was likely, but rather the earliest can pass is next week. So for the thousands whose benefits will run out soon, let alone those whose benefits have already run out, you have Jon Kyl to thank for not getting this extension passed sooner.

Here's more:

As Congress debates the measure, 400,000 people ran out of benefits in September and another 208,000 are set to lose them this month, according to the National Employment Law Project. Some 1.4 million people will stop receiving checks by year's end if Congress doesn't act, according to the employment law project.



Evidently, Kyl is worried that undeserving people are receiving benefits. So 600,000 people have to suffer. Typical Republican.

His phone numbers are here if you'd like to give him a buzz and tell him what you think of his compassionate conservatism.


.