Lou Peron

by digby

I thought for sure that Dobbs would be going to Fox but I understand that really isn't happening, at least not right away. Then I saw the speculation about a political career and just assumed that if he were thinking along those lines he would run for state office or maybe congress. But it didn't occur to me that he'd set his sights higher than the Senate or even Glenn Beck. The Dreyfuss Report wonders if he isn't going for The Big One:

Parsing the Lou Dobbs bombshell, I can't help wondering if the pudgy populist is planning a run for president in 2012. My guess: yes. And if he does, I'll bet he'll do so as a Peron-style, would-be Ross Perot. It could be America's first truly fascist electoral effort.

[...]

In his statement last night, which you can read here and watch here, Dobbs said:

"Over the past six months it's become increasingly clear that strong winds of change have begun buffeting this country and affecting all of us, and some leaders in media, politics and business have been urging me to go beyond the role here at CNN and to engage in constructive problem solving as well as to contribute positively to the great understanding of the issues of our day."

And:

"At this point, I'm considering a number of options and directions, and I assure you, I will let you know when I set my course. I truly believe that the major issues of our time include the growth of our middle class, the creation of more jobs, health care, immigration policy, the environment, climate change, and our military involvement, of course, in Afghanistan and Iraq."


The field is certainly wide open and Dobbs has carved out an explicitly Peronist niche on the political spectrum. I could see it. (Does anyone know the wife?)


.