Real Americans Don't Eat Salad

by digby

Palin on vegetarianism:
"If any vegans came over for dinner, I could whip them up a salad, then explain my philosophy on being a carnivore: If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?"

I love meat. I eat pork chops, thick bacon burgers, and the seared fatty edges of a medium-well-done steak. But I especially love moose and caribou. I always remind people from outside our state that there's plenty of room for all Alaska's animals—right next to the mashed potatoes.

I think that's actually very clever of Palin. It's the modern equivalent of a successful Reagan line from the 60s that hippies "look like Tarzan, walk like Jane and smell like Cheetah." It's a way of tweaking the liberals and people of all political stripes love that stuff. It's tried and true conservative politics and she has a knack for delivering those kinds of lines, just as it was for St. Ronnie.

Her ignorance of everything else is what will likely keep her from becoming more than a political celebrity, but I can see why she's so popular among the wingnuts. Just like Reagan, she knows how to give voice to their hatred with a joke and a smile on her face. It's a unique gift.


.