A Living Argument Against Aristocracy

by digby


I confess to being an intermittent fan of Bravo reality shows like Top Chef and Project Runway, so I sometimes tune into the network from time to time and catch one of their other shows.  I happened to see a couple of episodes of a show called NYC Prep when it aired last summer but was so sickened by the loathesome little Lord and Lady Fauntleroys featured in the show that I never watched it again.  The worst one by far was this guy:



Peter Cary “PC” Peterson, 18 years old and a senior at Dwight, is sitting at Philippe on the Upper East Side, talking about the way the world works, based on his extensive experience. “Everything in New York City is about connections,” he explains, his eyes glinting and head lolling back. “It’s who you know and how much money you have. It’s really sad. And I am not saying I’m like that. But that’s what New York is: money and power.”

He is like that, and worse.

I'm a little slow on the uptake, I guess, because I didn't know that this little jerk is the grandson of Pete Peterson, scourge of the safety net.

I don't think I've ever seen a greater argument for an estate tax. A huge one.


.