Shocker

by digby

I have been watching the gasbags anxiously await the President's "shocking" announcement all day going on and on about what they thought he was going to say. And he didn't really saying anything, at least not that I could discern. (Why all the hype?) but now th gasbags are l;eft with nothing to say and this is the kind of thing we're hearing:

Blitzer: he said he's not interested in laying blame right now.Ultimately the buck will stop with me and and when the system fails it will be my responsibility. he was under pressure, I think, to say that.

Gloria Borger: Yeah, I think he was, and I think he's the president of the United States and the buck does stop with him. I think what was also very interesting about what he said was that not only didn't we connect the dots, but we didn't understand the dots...

Yeah, that's quite the fascinating insight.

CNN had a former FBI guy on who said that we need to have an aviation summit with countries all over the world to standardize security and create a new world aviation treaty, at which point I heard Glenn Beck's head explode from this fresh evidence of the progresso-fascist New World Order with its black helicopters coming to grab your gun, give it to a Muslim and then devalue the dollar. Scary stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this seems like an intelligence bureaucracy cock-up that fortunately didn't end in disaster. But, we've been dealing with middle eastern terrorists attempting to blow up airplanes for some time and it's clear there's never going to be completely foolproof security. When you have a wake-up call like this you thank your lucky stars the plot didn't work, review your procedures and re-double your efforts. Short of starting a war with another country that didn't attack us, what else can we do? This 24/7, garment rending is just playing into terrorists' hands. It's annoying.

I'm not blaming Obama for this. I would guess he finds it annoying too that that people are clamoring for him to grab a bullhorn and start spouting stupid cliches just so the gasbags can get the lovely warm feeling they always get when the Preznit acts like The Dad Who Is Always Mad. He seems to be trying to put on that silly pageant as best he can, but it's clear his heart isn't in it. Thank God.


.