Dog Day Journalism

Dog Day Journalism

by digby

I don't know what to say about this. I am honestly a little bit surprised by these findings because I haven't felt that this story has been so huge. But maybe I'm reading the wrong papers and watching the wrong shows:

Thirty-seven governorships are up for grabs in November, along with all 435 seats in the House and 37 in the Senate. And only a handful of the more hotly contested races will get significant national media coverage from now through Election Day.

So it’s a little surprising that the national press is now lavishing the most attention on a candidate who cable pundits and political analysts expect to lose big in November: Alvin Greene.

The South Carolina Democrat has been the lead newsmaker in 2010 coverage since coming out of nowhere to win the June 8 Senate primary. Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism crunched the numbers and provided The Upshot with its internal analysis of media coverage across 52 major news outlets, from South Carolina’s primary day through July 18.

South Carolina Republican gubernatorial contender Nikki Haley came in second place, according to the nonpartisan organization. Other candidates near the top: California’s Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman, Arkansas’ Blanche Lincoln and Nevada’s Sharron Angle.


I don't know about you, but this just doesn't seem right, although I have no reason to doubt Pew on this. I spend a lot of time following politics and I just haven't had the impression that the press was covering Green all that much. Live and learn.


.