Every Day's a Revolution --- Welcome to The Future

Every Day's A Revolution --- Welcome To The Future

by digby

I'm tired of feeling like hell about everything. I just don't have the right temperament for constant anger, frustration and depression. And anyway, the Fourth of July is my favorite holiday -- a beautiful, secular, mid-summer celebration of freedom --- and I just don't want to feel awful today.

So, I'm going to put up this Youtube of Brad Paisley singing "Welcome to the Future" at the White House last summer. I heard the song on the radio the other day and was reminded that while I live in the trenches of the political battle and the day to day is relentlessly frustrating and unsatisfying, it's important to step back and take a look at the big picture once in a while. And watching this country music superstar singing a song about progress for the first African American president makes me feel good.

I don't cut President Obama much slack --- the job is too important for that and he doesn't need patronizing sycophants --- but on Independence Day it pays to remember that the election of the first black president is still, as the Veep would say, a Big Fucking Deal:


I know that many of you are not country fans, but hey, you can't please everybody. It's the fact that that's a country song that makes it so poignant.

We have come a long way.



Oh heck --- alright, here's Dave Alvin singing "4th of July." Somebody finally uploaded the video.


For those of you who prefer the more rocking X version, here it is.

I want everybody to be happy today.

.