RIP Paul Conrad: "No one ever accused me of being objective"

RIP Paul Conrad

by digby

I have often mentioned that my formative years were indelibly shaped by MAD magazine. It's true. And because of that I think I was especially tuned in to political cartoons when I started to form my own ideas.

And it was mostly from Paul Conrad, multi-pulitzer prize winner for the LA Times who was one of the best political cartoonists of all time (and that's saying something.) He died today at 86, surrounded by family, having led a satisfying life as an unabashed liberal and destroyer of Village mythology and Imperial pretensions.
He was an unflinching DFH and proud of it.

Here are a few of his best known cartoons:


























































My personal favorite from 1999:


So what do you think? Has our political discourse really become terribly uncivil? Or are liberals just unwilling to tell it like it is anymore?

I love this quote:
"No one ever accused me of being objective"


RIP Paul Conrad.



.