Threats from The Godfather

Threats from The Godfather

by digby

I've kept my distance from the Cain sexual harassment scandal because I don't think he's a serious candidate and the Village feeding frenzy on these things makes me queasy. He certainly sounds like he's a serial harasser on any number of levels. Obviously, I wouldn't vote for him in any case, so it's a story I'm only peripherally following.

But this is creepy:

L. Lin Wood, the lawyer hired by the Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain to fend off sexual harassment accusations, has warned that any other women who might be considering coming forward with similar allegations “should think twice.”


I don't think I've ever seen such a blatant threat coming from a lawyer. He sounds like Tony Soprano.

They've also put up a web site apparently devoted to trashing the reputation of any women who come forward.

And there was this, which is really awful:















Does Herman Cain think this is ok?

Probably. After all he was perfectly willing to insult the House minority leader with a sexist gibe in last night's debate --- even in the middle of this horrible scandal. He's either reckless or clueless and probably both.


Update: I can't even contemplate this awful thing at Penn State. But then I was stunned when this was revealed about the Catholic Church too. People didn't stop a man they knew from raping a 10 year old boy when they saw it with their very own eyes? Because they were afraid for their careers?

Sometimes I just get so tired of my species.


.