Talk about an empty cupboard: Rove's pathetic attempt to relive his glory years

Talk about an empty cupboard

by digby

Anyone who still believes that Karl Rove is a political genius will have to admit that this is just ... sloppy. From Greg Sargent:

Rove cites this quote from Bill Clinton in the documentary to make the case that any president would have made the call Obama made:

As for the killing of Osama bin Laden, Mr. Obama did what virtually any commander in chief would have done in the same situation. Even President Bill Clinton says in the film “that’s the call I would have made.” For this to be portrayed as the epic achievement of the first term tells you how bare the White House cupboards are.

“That’s the call I would have made,” Clinton said in the documentary, according to Rove. And it’s true, Clinton did utter those words. But here’s the full quote from Clinton, at the 12:30 mark in the film:

“He took the harder and the more honorable path. When I saw what had happened, I thought to myself, `I hope that’s the call I would have made.’


I guess I can see why he would do this. After all, he got away with a presidential campaign exploiting the journalistic malpractice feedback loop that had Al Gore saying things he didn't say. But in this day of Youtubes and Mr Google, I'm not sure it's a successful strategy.

But then, he's not trying to reach people who are looking for facts. He's trying to reach people who want anti-Obama red meat and this will do quite nicely.

.