Hatch the hippie

Hatch the hippie

by digby

Via Political Animal I learn that Orrin Hatch has made something of a comeback and looks to be on track to defeat the Tea Party. And he's not a happy warbler:

Here’s what he told NPR (I happened to hear this on the car radio yesterday, and nearly ran a stop sign):

“These people are not conservatives. They’re not Republicans,” Hatch angrily responds. “They’re radical libertarians and I’m doggone offended by it.”
Then Hatch, a former boxer, turns combative. “I despise these people, and I’m not the guy you come in and dump on without getting punched in the mouth.”


Like Kilgore, I'm old enough to remember when Hatch was totally on the wingnut fringe, Jesse Helms territory. Now he's a RINO.

He's also wrong about the Tea Party. They aren't radical libertarians. They're just radical right wingers. He's behind the times.

I wonder how the Tea Partiers feel about him saying "I despise these people." Don't be surprised if they rally around him. The far right loves aggressive, dominant rhetoric. That might just make them fall in love all over again.

.