Mommy Dearest

Mommy Dearest

by digby

I see why they're doing this and it's actually quite humanizing. (Say what you will about Mitt, his family is very attractive.)



I don't know. It's hard enough to think of Mitt Romney as a some kind of kooky cut-up but is it really a good idea for Ann Romney to refer to Mitt as her 6th son? It creeped me out a little bit, although I have to admit it also rings a little bit true. Mitt strikes me as a bit --- incomplete. But maybe that's just because I still always think of him as George Romney's kid.

But when I think about what people said about the Clinton marriage --- the "two for the price of one" thing had their heads spinning on their shoulders --- I can't imagine what they would have said if Hillary had infantalized him in a campaign video. On the other hand, Mitt is the most awkward presidential candidate since Richard Nixon, so maybe they figure anything that shows him as a person is to the good.

And they do have a bit of a problem with women so maybe Ann can soften his image up a bit. But I'm guessing that's not really going to do it. This is a deep philosophical/ideological divide at this point and Mitt's not going to be able to bridge it with some cute pictures of his family. Some women may be suckers for those images, but they won't let them override their own liberty.


.