No lunch for you!

No lunch for you!

by digby

I haven't worked in a corporate office for a while, but I guess I'm lucky. Towards the end of my so-called career, it became more and more necessary to stay in for lunch, but I thought it was a function of the fact that I was doing consulting on specific projects and there was a lot of pressure to meet certain deadlines. Then I saw this last night and I wondered if it had become the new normal in American workplaces:




Taking a real lunch break used to be the norm in offices. Indeed, it was usually required, even if you just went into a break room and ate your sandwich. In the early years of my so-called career, they wouldn't let you eat lunch at your desk.

I realize that this is just a stupid McDonald's ad campaign and it's jumping on the "protest" theme, but as I said, I was noticing this "working lunch" theme a while back. It seems to me they couldn't do this if it wasn't a recognizable phenomenon for at least some people.

.