Out of wedlock pregnancy is "similar" to rape according to GOP Senate nominee: and abortion s/be banned in either case

Out of wedlock pregnancy is "similar" to rape

by digby

And the hits just keep on coming, this time from the Pennsylvania Republican challenging pro-life Bob Casey:

Republican Tom Smith spoke at the Pennsylvania press club luncheon Monday afternoon. The defining moment occurred a few moments after the formal program when, asked about abortion amid a group of reporters, Smith seemed to suggest that having a child out of wedlock was analogous to rape.

Smith, a former coal company owner from Armstrong County who is challenging freshman Democratic Sen. Bob Casey, immediately tried to backtrack his comments.

You can listen to the exchange here, and the following is PoliticsPA’s transcript:

Robert Vickers, Patriot News: In light of Congressman Akin’s comments, is there any situation that you think a woman should have access to an abortion?

Tom Smith: My stance is on record and it’s very simplistic: I’m pro-life, period. And what that Congressman said, I do not agree with at all. He should have never said anything like that.

Vickers: So in cases of incest or rape…

Laura Olson, Post-Gazette: No exceptions?

Smith: No exceptions.

Mark Scolforo, Associated Press: How would you tell a daughter or a granddaughter who, God forbid, would be the victim of a rape, to keep the child against her own will? Do you have a way to explain that?

Smith: I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn’t have to.. she chose they way I thought. No don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rape.

Scolforo: Similar how?

Smith: Uh, having a baby out of wedlock.

Scolforo: That’s similar to rape?

Smith: No, no, no, but… put yourself in a father’s situation, yes. It is similar. But, back to the original, I’m pro-life, period.


Clearly, Smith is a cretinous throwback of the worst kind. I'm guessing that if the argument in Pennsylvania shifts to whether unwed motherhood equals rape or whether there should be an exception for rape and incest, Casey's going to win it. Unfortunately, women in Pennsylvania won't because he's still anti-abortion.

Still, it's very interesting how so many of these important Republicans are blurting out these opinions. Maybe someone should ask them questions like this more often.


.