QOTD: Glenn Greenwald

QOTD: Glenn Greenwald

by digby

After observing that if the founders are able to see what has become of the American press they must wonder why they worked so hard to secure the First Amendment, Glenn Greenwald followed up with this update:

I was unaware when I made my observation about the Founders that John Adams closed a 1777 letter to his wife Abigail with this thought:

Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.


If Heaven had the misfortunate of subscribing to Time (or, more likely, receiving it for free as a consolation prize for a failed sweepstakes entry), then a moment of silence is warranted to lament Adams’ pain. Then again, if Adams has access to Time in the afterlife, then he’s most certainly not in Heaven.


word

.