Human decency

Human decency

by digby



The image above was taken recently on a cold evening in Times Square, right in the middle of New York City. According to a New York Times article, a New York Police Department officer named Lawrence DePrimo was working a counterterrorism post when he spotted a homeless, shoeless man. He brought the man a new pair of boots, and a tourist snapped this image of DePrimo helping the man put on the shoes.

It was rapidly shared around the Internet on social media sites -- a little reminder to all of the importance of the holiday season. DePrimo mentioned in an interview that it was a very cold night, and he dipped into a nearby shoe store to purchase the boots with his own money.

I don't know if that's some kind of a set-up (I'm waaay too cynical these days) but I really hope it's for real. In fact, I choose to believe it is real. For all the criticism I give police who overstep their bounds I'm sure there are a million acts of kindness that we never see.

.