"You've set this chicken your last time cause now I've got the pill"

"You've set this chicken your last time cause now I've got the pill"

by digby

Remember when Rick Santorum got caught on tape saying that contraception is “One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country. It’s not okay. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be?” 

Well, this is actually a fairly widely held belief among the true believers.  Robin Marty reports:
Theologist Peter Baklinski argued that birth control isn’t just wrong because of its alleged health risks (as he incorrectly notes, birth control pills cause cancer and vasectomies sap your sex drive)—it ruins marriages, too.
This is why contraception turns sex into a big fat lie. It makes the lover say, “I love you, but not your fertility. I don’t want that part of you. Lock it up.” 
It truly poisons love between a husband and wife since nobody ever wants to be loved only conditionally. 
[M]any contracepting couples have eventually discovered that contraception feeds a creeping selfishness that makes the man and woman focus almost exclusively on their own pleasure in sex, and not on one another. 
Contraception makes one person suddenly become for the other a sexual object to be used for pleasure and no longer a cherished and honored beloved. The resulting mutual sexual exploitation can devastate true love. 
By putting fertility under lock and key and thereby closing the sexual act to the possibility of new life, the contracepting couple no longer is able to give themselves completely and totally to each other. It is true that with contraception, the lovers caught up in the sexual act still act and react in much the same fashion as without, but the inner life of the person suffers rejection and compromise. Contraception degrades and violates the person.
The “it ain’t true love unless you can get pregnant” mentality goes a long way toward explaining the fascination that anti-choice zealots have with ensuring every sexual encounter has “creation” potential. It also explains their irrational fear of same-sex marriage. 
In their minds, if same-sex couples are allowed to have full legal rights as couples, that will create a permanent wedge between sex and creating a family—validating the belief that couples can have sex simply because they love each other and that children can come from a source besides intercourse and still make a complete and loving family.
You know, I can pretty much guarantee that most women really don't give a damn if a man "loves her fertility."  Here's one to explain the whole thing to these people:


You wined me and denied me when I was your girl

Told me if I'd be your wife you'd show me the world

But all I've seen of this old world is a bed and a doctor bill

I'm tearin' down your brooder house because now I've got the pill

All these years I've stayed at home while you had all your fun

And every years that's gone by another baby's come

There's gonna be some changes made right here on nursery hill

You've set this chicken your last time cause now I've got the pill

This old maternity dress I've got is going in the garbage

The clothes I'm wearing from now on won't take up so much yardage

Miniskirts hot pants and a few little fancy frills

Yeah I'm making up for all those years since I've got the pill

I'm tired of all your crowing how you and your hens play

While holding a couple in my arms another's on the way

This chicken's done for up her nest and ready to make a deal

And you can't afford to turn it down cause you know I've got the pill

This incubator is overused because you've kept it filled

The feeling good time's easy now since I've got the pill

It's gettin' dark it's roostin' time and that's too good to be real

Oh daddy don't you worry now cause momma's got the pill

Oh daddy don't you worry now cause momma's got the pill

But then I guess she's a west coast liberal elite who didn't understand how Real American women lived.  What does she know?

.