QOTD: James Carville

QOTD: James Carville

by digby


"I think he likes that. I don't think he's upset. He got a very favorable Washington Post editorial. 'Morning Joe,' very favorable commentary right here. I guarantee you if he's up watching this right now. Got a good David Brooks column. He's kind of excited this morning. This is kind of important to him" -- Dem strategist James Carville, on Obama angering his base ("Morning Joe").

I didn't see the segment so I don't know if he was approving of this or just making an observation. But if anyone knows triangulation when he sees it, it's Carville.

I guess this is the sort of thing the WH is so happy about:


[O]n chained CPI. I’d like to put into the record a summary sheet that we have done, if I may do so without objection, that shows I think it’s just as wrong as it can be to have made that choice. I don’t care where it came from. I don’t care if it was Speaker Boehner’s idea. It is wrong.

Social Security, as you just said, has not contributed to the deficit problem, and seniors, at least the ones that I deliver meals on wheels to in senior high rises, are not living so high off the hog, that they are not great people to go after.

And the protection of vulnerable seniors, as I read your plan, is actually less than the hit to them.
They end up still negative, even at 85 years old, because by the time they get the 5% benefit, they are getting a 6.5% hit.

So I just want to let you know - anything I can do to be a foe of that, I intend to do. The $15 billion that comes back to seniors through the benefit against the $230 billion overall cut, to me, is a figleaf.”

Indeed it is ...

Update:  Here's Carville. You be the judge if he's in favor of it:
He's right about one thing: the president genuinely wants a Grand Bargain.
.