Catfood update: could you live on this?

Catfood update: could you live on this?

by digby

I'm sure there are cretins out there who would say this woman deserves to be in this position because she failed to adequately provide for herself when she was young. But they are going to hell:
Near the end of the event Sheryl Tenicat, of Des Moines, told her story through tears. “$624 a month. That’s what I live on. 99 of that goes to my Medicare Part ‘A’ and ‘B’. After I get my check in two weeks, it’s gone. I have nothing. I live on what I eat here (at the senior center). I don’t want my cost of living cut because I’ve paid in since I was 16.”

Tenicat, who is retired, said she is looking for a job because she can’t pay her bills. Her car broke down and she can’t afford to fix it. So she rides the bus to get to the senior center to get her free meals. She finished her plea for help by telling Harkin she is out of ways to save money, “There is no way for me to eat less.”
The good news is that if the administration succeeds in "reforming" social security by instituting the Chained-CPI, they promise to "tweak" it so this woman won't lose as much money as she gets older as the new schedule shows she would. So, not to worry.

You see, we need the money that it would take to make her life a little bit easier to use to maintain our status as the world's only super-power and that requires a blank check for the productive entrepreneurs who make weapons and supply surveillance over the entire world. Look at it this way, this little lady is doing her part to protect America from the boogeyman. A real patriot wouldn't complain.

In case you didn't know it by my dripping sarcasm, that video proves what some people have been saying for many years: Social Security is inadequate and needs to be expanded.
.