Authoritarians across the political spectrum, together at last

Authoritarians across the political spectrum, together at last

by digby

One of the characteristics of the right for the past 60 years of so has been its mindless adoption of much of the worldview of the enemies they purport to loathe. Here's one demonstrating it once again:

Rep. Kevin Cramer (R-ND) on Friday responded to a constituent opposed to drastically cutting food stamps for the young, elderly and poor by citing a Biblical quote: "If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat."

After House GOP leaders capitulated to conservative demands, Cramer on Thursday joined 216 other House Republicans in narrowly passing legislation to cut food stamp spending by nearly $40 billion over 10 years. A constituent, Kevin R Tengesdal, took to Cramer's Facebook page to express his apparent displeasure by quoting some Biblical passages

He quoted Matthew 34-36:

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Cramer subsequently responded by citing a different passage from the Bible, one more favorable to his position on federally funded nutrition assistance.

"2 Thessalonians 3:10 English Standard Version (ESV) 10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat," he wrote.

This fine freedom lover would probably be surprised to learn about the company he keeps in quoting that line:

ARTICLE 12. In the U.S.S.R. work is a duty and a matter of honor for every able-bodied citizen, in accordance with the principle: "He who does not work, neither shall he eat."

That's right. It's Article 12 of the 1936 Soviet Constitution, also known as the "Stalin Constitution."

.