Good reads for your special day of rest

Good reads for your special day of rest

by digby

There are a huge number of really good labor day reads out there and it struck me that I don't think I've ever seen such passionate and heartfelt articles before, even on the designated day for them. Maybe I just missed it before but I don't think so.  It feels as though there's been an uptick in the left's emotional connection to labor since the economic meltdown and I imagine that gives writers and commentators who have always been sympathetic to the cause a bit more energy as well.

Anyway, here's a sampling of the good stuff I've had the pleasure to read on the subject this morning. I'll add to it as I come across more today:

Ed Kilgore on the dignity of labor

Robert Kuttner on the fast food workers' strikes leading to a revitalized labor movement. 

Harold Meyerson: The Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy: a new model for American Liberalism (Amazing, hopeful story.)

Merrill Goozner on the Medicaid expansion's positive effect on lower wage workers.

Jared Bernstein on how to talk to you pesky, Fox loving brother-in-law about the minimum wage.

Tom Schaller on 21st century America's low wage workaholism.

Krugman on the history of labor day and the disgusting disrespect the right has adopted toward working people  (also known as "parasites.")

A fascinating story of a unionized strip club from Lily Burana in The Atlantic.

Update: Dean Baker: The US is the only wealthy country in the world where workers are not guaranteed paid leave.
.