Villagers believe they are salt of the earth average Americans. Y do the real average Americans sound so much smarter?

Villagers believe they are salt of the earth average Americans. Why do the real average Americans sound so much smarter?

by digby

Via Show Me Progress, here are a couple of Kansas City Representative Emmanual Cleaver's constituents at a town hall last week:

....Thank you for being here. I came out tonight and much of my significant concerns about moving forward with a military strike against Syria at this time have been spoken to by my fellow constituents.

The thing that I'd like to add, and I apologize if I missed this earlier, uh, western intervention has a very long history in this region of the world as it does in many regions of the world. And I think that this strike will no doubt fit into that historical context. And those interventions have often been oppressive, unwelcome, hegemonic. And I don't agree with that and I don't think that's what we preach here in the United States, although it happens all of the time, all over the world by our [inaudible], by our government. And so I just ask you to think very critically about what this means and how it fits into a much larger global picture. Thank you. [applause]

Transcript here


CNN should hire both of those people. They sound far more informed, cogent and thoughtful than most of the commentary I've seen on cable TV the past couple of weeks.


.