GI Jesus and his rock hard abs

GI Jesus and his rock hard abs

by digby

General Jerry Boykin (ret.) is tired of the feminization of his macho hero --- Jesus Christ. For realz:
Do you think he looked like the effeminate picture that we always see of him? He didn’t look like that. He had big ole calluses over his hands, right? I imagine he probably lost a nail or two, he probably hit it with a hammer or something.”

“You think his biceps weren’t big bulging biceps, big ole veins popping out of his arms, thin waist, strong shoulders from lifting? He smelled bad! Why? Because he sweated, he worked. You think I’m sacrilegious because I said Jesus smelled bad? No, he was a man! He was a man’s man.”

“He was a tough guy, and that’s the Jesus I want to be like. But we feminize Jesus in the church and men can’t identify with him anymore, not the kind of men I want to hang out with. They can’t identify with this effeminate Jesus that we’ve tried to portray.”
Ok, I think we're talking about a whole different kind of man's man with all that "thin waist and strong shoulders" and "losing a nail" and what not, don't you?

This particular homoerotic undercurrent on the right has always been present. Remember this?


Seeing Jesus as a macho construction worker is fine, I suppose. Whatever floats your boat. (I always preferred the cop or the cowboy myself.) But these people still need to grapple with the "femmy" Jesus message of caring for the poor and sick and all that business of the meek being blessed and inheriting the earth. Jesus might have stunk with the manly essence of the working man (I'd imagine most people did) and he might have had a rock hard 6-pack that would make your average Calvin Klein underwear model look like Rob Ford. But there's no getting around his hippie message of peace and love.

Sorry General, but he's just not that into you.

.