Angry protectors: proliferation activists cursing the victims

Angry protectors

by digby


The responses to the painful outburst by the father of Christopher Michael-Martinez have been pretty predictable. An awful lot of gun owners get very, very angry when victims get upset about gun violence. (Or, hey, even when people say anything the disagree with ...) So this, from Charlie Pierce, isn't a shock. But it is pretty sickening:
[H]ere's brave Todd Kincannon, chairman of the Election Commission of Simpsonville, South Carolina, stepping up in 140 characters, to defend his freedom against the onslaught of grieving parents.
Fuck him. He is a piece of shit. His tragedy sucks, but he blamed me for it and wants to take away my rights. The guy is trying to take away my rights to protect my family. Fuck him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
And Todd is raising a little Viking who, I am sure, one day will conquer and pillage on behalf of some brokerage house or real estate company.
No idea how my son will die, but I know it won't be cowering like a bitch at UC Santa Barbara. Any son of mine would have been shooting back.
Pierce goes on to note that this brave, manly man who's raising a brave manly son didn't serve in the military. I guess he was busy defending the homeland.

Does anyone feel safer knowing someone like this is armed to the teeth?

For a thorough refutation of the worst of the gun proliferation zealots' arguments in the wake of Isla Vista, read this by Cliff Schecter.

Update: Oh lordy

Joe The Plumber to father of shooting victim: "your dead kids don't trump my gun rights" http://t.co/1PxyV8vL5s #ThankYouJohnMcCain
— Michael Kapp (@michaelkapp) May 27, 2014




.