Measles are not fun

Measles are not fun

by digby

This is concerning:


The consensus is that it is happening as a result of people failing to vaccinate their kids.

This is a bad idea. Aside from the fact that vaccines require herd immunity to be effective, so your "individual choice" to expose your kids to disease also means you're choosing for others, parents should know that these are not fun diseases. I know because I had them. I had measles, mumps, chicken pox and German measles, the latter of which was very serious. They were all miserable. I was a healthy kid and came though with no ill effects, but one of my neighbors wasn't so lucky when her kid came home with German measles when she was pregnant.

I guess I find this to be another piece of the war on science in which people are mistaking vaccination for a scientific "advance" like pesticides which later turned out to be deadly. Yes, there can be side effects from vaccines. That's always been the case. Life has risks. But the risk from disease has always been much greater. And the near eradication of so many of these diseases just in my lifetime has been a tremendous boon to mankind.

Skepticism is good, but this one's been tested and proven over many years and the suspicions just don't add up.

.