Pushing the wave

Pushing the wave

by digby

If you read Howie Klein's Down With Tyranny on a regular basis you already know that the DCCC's strategy this cycle under the alleged leadership of Steve Israel  is a clown show of epic proportions. There are examples all over the country of the Democrats backing the losing candidates over the ones who might win, ignoring winnable races and leaving vulnerable GOP incumbents alone.  But nothing reveals the depth of the incompetence better than this:
Ed Jany, the Marine and former cop, national and state Democratic leaders hailed as an ideal candidate to take on newly elected U.S. Rep. David Jolly, R-Indian Shores, in Pinellas County's Congressional District 13, is dropping out of the race.

The sudden and surprise announcement comes days after a Tampa Bay Times report about him seemingly padding his educational background and resume.

Jany entered the race at the last minute — after Democrats more or less threatened a prominent African-American minister to keep him out of the contest. In a statement Jany said he has realized he does not have the time to run for office:

“It is with deep regret that I announce my withdrawal from the race for U.S. Representative in the Thirteenth District. In my professional capacity, I am responsible for coordinating some of the Command and Control for Security at the World Cup in Brazil this year, something I committed to doing some time ago. I wrongly assumed that I could maintain my professional work requirements while running for office, just as I was able to work full-time as a police officer while pursuing a full-time education and balancing my military service in the past. Unfortunately, the political process does not allow for me to continue my professional work, and I cannot afford to support my family while campaigning without an income. This has been a very tough decision that I’ve considered thoughtfully over the course of the last week, but it’s the best choice for my family right now."

Suffice it to say, the folks at the DCCC have had better days.
I guess they didn't have the time to vet this fine fellow, what with having to threaten the popular African American leader out of the race and all. Because who needs African American votes in Florida, amirite?

The story leaves out the best part, though. This guy was a Republican until two weeks before the Democrats endorsed him.

.