This is why women can't have nice things

This is why women can't have nice things

by digby

So Tina Brown thinks Clinton shouldn't run because she had her chance to be a first and she wasn't sexy enough. Also too, she probably doesn't realize how icky the press can be and how the presidency is really hard and disappointing. (I guess she was in a coma for the past 25 years.)

Tina Brown thinks Clinton should be a "post-president." Why? Well, it's lots more fun especially for someone with lady parts:
Now that Chelsea is pregnant, and life for Hillary can get so deeply familial and pleasant, she can have her glory-filled post-presidency now, without actually having to deal with the miseries of the office itself. She is as adored as any ex-president already, she is making a ton of money, and she can expand the real passion of her life, her global mission to promote women’s rights, education, and political participation. The spotlight follows her and always will. If she becomes president at 68 it will be another press onslaught from hell and such a hog-tied two terms, only the festive delights of hip replacement surgery will await her by the time she gets out.
Oh, and lest we forget, she's really old.

I'd like to see a woman president before I die but frankly, I won't be surprised if I don't. The sexism in this culture runs so much deeper than I ever fully realized that I can only assume the first woman will be elected on a fluke. (That fluke could be the GOP's rather startling implosion in 2016...)

And this is the sort of silly nonsense that makes me skeptical that we're there yet. Brown is one of the most high profile successful women in publishing and this is the kind of fatuous, sexist nonsense she comes up with? "Hillary can get deeply familial and pleasant" because her daughter is pregnant??? And she can be famous and loved without taking on the presidency so why on earth would any gal choose to do otherwise?

I don't care if Clinton runs and if she does I don't know what kind of president she'd be if she wins. I suspect she'd be very much like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. But I do think she is a serious person with serious ideas and if she runs for office it will be because she has more than a desire to be famous and loved.  I assume she has real goals she wants to achieve. Being a rich grandmother probably isn't the total fulfillment of her goals.

Sheesh.

.