Picking pecans and torturing animals, All American pastime

Picking pecans and torturing animals, All American pastime

by digby

Surprisingly this creepy guy is not one of Saddam's long lost sons, he's a US Senator:


“I grew up coming down here for Christmas,” he said. “My father’s family was here. My mother’s family was from rural Hinds County in Utica.”

“It was fun, it was an adventure to be out there in the country and to see what goes on,” he said of his boyhood visits to Hattiesburg. “Picking up pecans, from that to all kinds of indecent things with animals.”

The audience chuckled.

“And I know some of you know what that is".

That's Thad Cochran. People are assuming this is a sexual thing and it might well have been. But I'm going to guess that, like George W. Bush, he's actually referring to animal torture. Either way, it's repulsive.

And no this isn't a generational thing. My father grew up in the country back in the 20s and he hunted, trapped and fished for a living throughout his childhood. He was extremely respectful of animals and thought that people who weren't were sick pieces of work. It wasn't "normal" to do "indecent things" to animals even then.

I have to love the fact that people "chuckled" at his comments. I can only hope it was actually nervous laughter and they just wanted to get the hell out of there.


.