What a good little authoritarian

What a good little authoritarian

by digby

Joe Scarborough yearns to be a subject:

There is a lot of unanswered questions here, but I do know this. When a police officer asks you to pick up—I've been in places where police officers said, "All right, you know what? This is cordoned off, you guys need to move along." You know what I do? I go, "Yes, sir," or "Yes, ma'am." I don't sit there and have a debate and film the police officer, unless I want to get on TV and have people talk about me the next day.


"Say yes, sir and yes ma'am." And be sure to tug your forelock and bow while you're at it.

I know it's unnecessary to point this out but we have a bill of rights. It allows certain freedoms. One of them if freedom of the press. Another is freedom of assembly. Another is due process of law. Those were put in there so that the people didn't have to genuflect to the authorities whenever they told them to do something.

The authoritarian impulse is vividly on display among the right wingers today. They hate government --- until it brings the hammer down on people they don't like. They are loving the sight of those Robo-cops on the streets of America.

They do care about their personal freedom to carry guns and not pay taxes. So there's that.

.