Bullets have no ideology

Bullets have no ideology

by digby

Eric Erickson, brave and true:

The Left has not only spent a day calling me a coward for not wanting to go to Star Wars: The Force Awakens on opening night after Paris, but also implying that I want Barack Obama to protect me.

Heck no. I not only think the President does not want to keep any of us safe, I don’t think he or his Administration is able to keep us safe.

The point is that the opening night of the biggest movie premiere in history is a soft target of masses of Americans in dark theaters that have no-gun policies and no metal detectors. Most law abiding citizens won’t take their guns with them, but the bad guys would. Honestly, given the TV cameras that will already be present, etc. opening night of this movie is an obvious target. It has nothing to do with cowardice and everything to do with common sense.

After the Dark Knight Rises shooting, I was perfectly happy going on to the theater opening weekend. It was one nutter in Aurora, CO. But now we’re dealing not with crazy people, but with zealots who want jihad. There’s a big difference.
There's no difference to the dead people, I'm afraid.

This is the dumbest thing anyone has said since Paris and that's something. Apparently, he believes that crazy people killing at random in a movie theatre is somehow less deadly than jihadi terrorists killing people at random in a concert hall. It is self-evidently ridiculous

Perhaps he's really afraid because jihadi terrorists have a political motive and so they will somehow take over the government and force him to live by sharia law. In that case he's got bigger emotional and mental problems.

As for being afraid to go to the Star Wars premiere, I have to agree with him. But not because of terrorism, because of this:
But, my caveat is, I’d feel perfectly comfortable going to the theater with my gun. In fact, I suspect many Americans will show up with their guns concealed anyway.
The odds of being killed accidentally by some armed moron panicked that the movie theatre is crawling with terrorists is way higher than a terrorist threat. I think I'll wait for the DVD.


Update: If you think that's unlikely, read this post by Dennis Hartley