There's more to life than politics

*This post will remain at the top of the page for a while. Please scroll down for new material.


There's more to life than politics

by digby





I write several posts seven days a week, usually about politics and current events. But I also have some wonderful writers contributing to this site for whom I am extremely grateful. Every week-end for the past nine years, Hullabaloo has featured a film review called Saturday Night at the Movies by Dennis Hartley, a comedian, radio personality and writer who lives in Seattle Washington. I have been friends with Dennis since we both went to high school in Fairbanks Alaska and wrote for the school paper and he remains the funniest person I have ever met in real life and that includes a lot of professional comedians whose paths I crossed in the entertainment business.

He has an encyclopedic knowledge of film --- and a movie collection --- that would make most libraries envious. His taste is eclectic, both mainstream and esoteric, with interests in everything from obscure documentaries to Japanese anime to James Bond and early black and white classics. If you are looking for a specific kind of movie to watch on Netflix there's a good chance Dennis will have reviewed something that will fit the bill. (Conveniently, Dennis has put up a beautiful new searchable website with all of his reviews and some musings about life and politics called DenOfCinema. Be sure to check it out.)

When I asked him to write a film review column for Saturday nights way back when I couldn't have imagined that we'd still be doing it after all these years. But here we are and I'm still thrilled to host his reviews once a week here at Hullabaloo.

Politics and government are important. Keeping up with current events is essential. You cannot be a good citizen if you don't do it.  I like to think that what we do here helps people sort thought it all. But there is more to life. That's why I regularly put up videos and stories about animals. (Believe me I don't get any extra traffic for it so it's not click-bait.) I put it up so that I, and maybe others, can have a little break, something get us our of our heads for a moment and touch our humanity and our hearts. And that's why I asked Dennis to come on board all those years ago and share his special knowledge of film and music and he's come through with flying colors. Every Saturday night you'll find a film review or a best-of list or a revisit of a classic and it's always informative, insightful and often very funny.

The Holiday fundraiser continues and I hope you'll consider throwing a little something in the kitty to keep this old thing going.

Happy Hollandaise everyone!