Power, strength, power, and more strength by @BloggersRUs

Power, strength, power, and more strength

by Tom Sullivan

Over the weekend, the would-be next president of the United States seems to expressed a certain respect for strongman Vladimir Putin, defending him from allegations that he, you know, might have had a journalist or two killed: “In all fairness to Putin, you’re saying he killed people. I haven’t seen that. I don’t know that he has.” [video]

See, unlike Obama, Donald would get along with the Russian leader. Donald understands Putin. Because strong.

A boy named Trump's fixation with the importance of power, strength, more strength, and power (it's so important) is truly something to behold. When during last week's debate Hugh Hewitt asked Donald Trump what his priority would be as president for updating the nuclear triad, Trump rambled. It's not clear the would-be commander-in-chief knew what the nuclear triad is. This was his reply (emphasis mine):

TRUMP: Well, first of all, I think we need somebody absolutely that we can trust, who is totally responsible; who really knows what he or she is doing. That is so powerful and so important. And one of the things that I'm frankly most proud of is that in 2003, 2004, I was totally against going into Iraq because you're going to destabilize the Middle East. I called it. I called it very strongly. And it was very important.

But we have to be extremely vigilant and extremely careful when it comes to nuclear. Nuclear changes the whole ball game. Frankly, I would have said get out of Syria; get out -- if we didn't have the power of weaponry today. The power is so massive that we can't just leave areas that 50 years ago or 75 years ago we wouldn't care. It was hand-to-hand combat.

The biggest problem this world has today is not President Obama with global warming, which is inconceivable, this is what he's saying. The biggest problem we have is nuclear -- nuclear proliferation and having some maniac, having some madman go out and get a nuclear weapon. That's in my opinion, that is the single biggest problem that our country faces right now.

HEWITT: Of the three legs of the triad, though, do you have a priority? I want to go to Senator Rubio after that and ask him.

TRUMP: I think -- I think, for me, nuclear is just the power, the devastation is very important to me.

It reminded me of this scene from Spielberg's 1941. Tim Matheson is giving Nancy Allen a private, evening tour of a B-17 sitting on the tarmac. But really, he's trying to get laid in the cockpit:

Captain Loomis Birkhead: [to Donna] It's big. The biggest one here. You know what else? It's got a lot of range. You know what I mean by range, don't you? I mean it can stay up for a long time. A very long time. And it's built firm and solid. Because it has to be. Because of its tremendous forward thrust. And when this baby delivers its payload... devastating.

Donald J. Trump would be devastating, ladies and gentlemen. You won't believe how devastating he would be.


The Holiday fundraiser continues and I hope you'll consider throwing a little something in the kitty.

Happy Hollandaise everyone!