And wear a burka too #ifyouwanttobesafe

And wear a burka too

by digby



















John Kasich with more wonderful condescension toward women:


This is the great GOP "moderate."

He is, of course, a genuine anti-feminist zealot. He recently signed one of the most far-reaching bills in the country to destroy Planned Parenthood.

But nothing really matches the lack of regard he has for the lives of women than this celebratory paean to a woman who chose to die rather than have an abortion:

My agnostic friend's daughter was sick. One night, I managed to reach him at a tough time. His daughter was due to hear from her doctor the next day, and the expectation was that they'd be in for some more bad news.

[Shortly afterwards, I bumped into the daughter], pregnant with another child, the same young woman who had just received that awful diagnosis. She spoke as though I already knew about her condition. She was bubbly and cheerful and positive, saying, "Everybody in my church is praying for me, but what I really want is for them to look at my trial and to find their faith."

Her doctors were not treating her cancer as aggressively as they wanted to because of her concern for her unborn child--an example of her selfless faith. I couldn't believe the strength, and the strength of character, of this young woman, facing a miserable prognosis with her cancer, thinking not of herself but of others. I said, "Jesus would marvel at your faith." She reminded me of Job, actually.

It's obviously perfectly fine for a woman to make this decision for herself. But to treat it as anything but a solemn and terrible choice to have to make, to celebrate it as a beautiful act of martyrdom, is sickening.

This attitude is catching on in anti-choice circles, leading to a new consensus that there should be no exceptions to the ban on abortion even for the life of the mother. After all, they'd be just like Job! Dead.

.