QOTD: A reporter

QOTD: A reporter

by digby





















GQ surveyed some undecided voters for what they're thinking today. Here's one of them:

Politics reporter, 42, Washington, D.C.

I've struggled with this the entire election season. Some days I'm really tortured by it, and some days it's, like, laughable. But I've never really felt this way as an adult human. And it's really—it's messing with me.

I cannot stomach Hillary Clinton. I just can't get with her. Maybe because I know too much. I find so much of her world hypocritical, reprehensible. I think the rest of the country sort of gives her a pass, like, "Oh, she's always been attacked by Republicans, it's not that big a deal, email shmemail!" But I'm like, "WHAT! This is a huge deal."
And then I also obviously struggle with Donald Trump. The things I like about him are: I believe that sometimes you just have to blow shit up to build it again, and I think that a Trump presidency would do that. But just when I sort of get there with him, like, Ohhhhhhkayyyy, he says or does something and I'm like, "No, I can't!" Like saying, "What do you have to lose?" to African-Americans. Like, WHAT? What?
I think I would just have to sort of give in to my chaos theory of Trump and just hope that he surrounds himself with the right people enough that it's not a total disaster? Or Hillary would have to do a really convincing and honest come-to-Jesus with the media. A real press conference.

I cover this stuff every day. So for me, four years of Trump, selfishly, sounds a lot more enticing, just because it's going to be a dumpster fire. And a Clinton administration would be more of what we're seeing now, which is carefully orchestrated speeches, behind-the-scenes Wealthy McWealthysons going in and out of the White House, and really horrible transparency with the press.

Gun to my head, I would probably vote Trump because of my feelings about Hillary, and my—I just want to see what happens. But if I were to talk to you tomorrow, I'd be like, "Ugh! I've gotta vote for Hillary!"

I can think of at least half dozen people I know who might have said that. Let's just say it's not an unfamiliar rap. They aren't conservatives.

The good news is that if Clinton just does a "real, honest to goodness press conference" (which I'm pretty sure includes a blowjob), he might deign to throw his vote her way. Because it's really about how "hypocritical" he finds "her world." And his feelings which are very, very intense. Because he cares so much. And worst case it's going to be a fun game for him to cover Trump so it's all good!

Well, until Trump decides to shut down the press. I'll bet he's be incensed then! Because that's important! But until then, whatever. He's can pat himself on the back every morning smugly telling his reflection that he's a progressive reporter with integrity. And that's just so awesome.

.